Tuesday, June 29, 2010

New Work. Pendleton.



New Work.  It's almost as if my life isn't just all about Design Star.  Almost. 
The Pendleton Catalogue finally dropped and I was supes excited to get it in the mail. So much work i've done lately either is not going to be published til next summer or is not stuff I really want in my book.  But this, i like.  This is just a sample from the first catalogue that I did.  More to come. 

Heres' how it went down, for those who are interested:
Maryalice gave me the art direction, where she wanted to play on the clothes conservative and classic nature.  So we did a throwback 1960's feel - when suits were suits and men were men.  
I figured everyone read national geographics a lot, loved pops of yellow and had loved all-things-circle back then, right? 
 So here's what I did:

I sourced the grasscloth and wallpaper down here, shipped it up to Portland.  Adhered it to the flats.  Chair railed one of them, painted the bottom semi-gloss (so it reflects).  Then I bought enough 8" pine planks (and cut them accordingly) to look like old wood flooring.  We stained them a trillion times so they would be dark, slapped on a coat of poly, then staggered them. 
  
 I rented that desk from The good mod (where I bought my sofa), it's amazing.  That topiary (top pic) was awesome.  HUGE.  and was a pretty penny from The Jealous Gardner.  The rest of the stuff I got at thrift stores, vintage stores, etc.  

Waddya think?  It was shot by Jose Martinez, with his crew Eric, Pat and Anton. 

15 comments:

  1. First of all, that desk needs to see the inside of my home. Seriously. Second, the whole shoot is rad on so many levels. The textures and colors from the grasscloth to the crumpled paper to the stacks of mags that remind me of classic National Geo, I love it, love it all. Nicely done, sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? no bearded mexicans?

    that combo of the grasscloth and yellow is so awesome it hurts. and that little bit of yellow paper in the typewriter (WHERE did you get a typewriter??) was your touch wasn't it? I know it was.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's cool. And I like that the clothes are appealing too; that the styling should sell the product. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love the feeling this ad gives off. Also love the use of grasscloth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GORGEOUS! I so need that grasscloth! I'll give you two cats for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beautiful, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it rocks. I love the pops of yellow against the deep teal of the grass cloth. Gorgeous texture and contrast. Well done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pictures!I actually loved the clothing, very timeless for the most part! Great job, Em! Miss you! Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! I loved the hues of the blue grasscloth and the streamlined, tailored lines of the clothes played against the streamlined, tailored lines of the furniture. The rounded topiary was just the right touch to tickle and delight the eye with an unexpected curve. And the NatGeo pops of yellow are brilliant.

    Tanks for posting those with your commentary. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seriously awesome! With gigs like this and such fab results, makes me wonder what the hell you needed stupid Design Star for...

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love the typewriter. WANT the credenza. another retro word, like davenport?

    ReplyDelete
  12. fantastic!! i'm jealous of your cool job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i likey a loty. i can't even wrap my head around what you do sometimes. it's so complicated. it's the most creative job I can think of. i think you have the coolest job of anyone I know. And yes, that includes Jack C. McB-hole.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it Emily...you have such amazing taste!

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful shoot! haven't seen the design star show yet but read about it on corbett's blog. i'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails