Wednesday, June 30, 2010

episode 3. da boys.

Ah the boys.  ok, so here's the deal. you can rip it apart, sure.  I'll spare you because these are my friends.  But here's the deal, it's actually more interesting than the girls.  Sure, ours is pretty, but I do think that the boys had some exciting things going on. 
Let's start with Tom.  


I love me some Tom.  I'm not gonna down play it, Tom and had a pretty special relationship and throughout the competition got kinda close.  You know how he comes across really intense?  that's because he is, but he has a lighter side, a really joyful side that I love.  When I was really really really down on myself (aka, barely holding it together) after the first challenge (or 2), he gave me such a good pep-talk.  I'll spare you the sentimentality, but I just remember being so thankful to him. and   
Anyway back to his saxamaphone.  


I like this space, I do.  It looks like a weird person lives here, and I love me some weird people.  I can't believe that Tom and Alex built that daybed in one day, neither having much experience with construction.  Tom's philosophy throughout the competition was to try things that he doesn't do in his everyday life as a designer (he's corporate).  


Pulling back more you can feel that it's a little more disjointed, but I still kinda want to be there. 


This side i'm not totally opposed to either.  It just didn't work with the other side.  It kinda looks like a crazy person lives here, but again, i like crazy people and i can often say that about my own apartment.  
I don't totally understand the different levels, but it did make the space do something interesting.  That pouf is ridiculous.  I love. The faux finish?  i'm not on that bandwagon, but I actually don't mind it outside of all places (somewhere that actually could be aged).  




So Trent went home.  Let me say this: these designers have some of the biggest personalities that i've ever been around in my life. HUGE.  Not all of them, but a lot of them.  I thought I had a middle-sized personality, you know, i can hold my own, but compared to some others it's like the size of a potato bug, or a proton.  If you lose confidence and it takes a while to find footing again (me), or if you never find your footing (Trent) then you will just get steamrolled. And its nobody's fault, its just a consequence of being on a reality show with big personalities.  So don't underestimate Trent. I never worked with him so I don't really know what he's capable of.  But this wasn't his format.  He wasn't meant for reality TV and competing for his career, and that's not a bad thing.

OH and to address the criticism.  Yes, you want to see more designing, I get that.  BUT, this isn't just a design competition and seeing personalities, how people work together, general like-ability (or dislikeability) is actually a factor in this game.  Its' 3 days cut into 43 minutes, having to watch/show 9 different designers work.  As people dwindle down and get the boot, i'm sure we'll all see more of the designing.  Just keep watching.  Please.  There is gonna be some stuff that knocks your pradas off.

8 comments:

  1. of course we'll keep watching...we are SO curious if EMILY gets her own show (fingers crossed for you!) Although some parts drive me crazy...you've lived it; so thanks for giving us your POV

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, cutie pie (that's what I call you in my mind!), of course we are going to keep watching!We're just going to complain along the way, much like my children on a car trip. Your behind the scene scoop makes it easier to hang in there. Quick question - did each challenge begin the day following the elimination? I'm assuming there was no real down time.
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love LOVE reading all of this stuff. I usually have to wait until later in the week to watch the episode but you bet your booty that the most exciting part about watching is reading your blog afterward.

    Even if I didn't read your blog, though, I really think you would be one of my favorite reality t.v. characters of all time. It's rare to see someone who can be a genuine, nice person without being boring. And you can! Amazing. No matter what happens on the show, I've got a feeling people are going to LOVE you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a camp counselor, we gave out "beaver awards" to our campers (Friendly Beaver, Dancing Beaver, etc). Yes, I know it's a strange kind of award and no, it was not my idea. My campers once gave me a Helpful Beaver award, though, and I think Tom should get one too. I totally appreciate a guy who at least tries to help a team member who caught an unfortunate break (darn fatty conga daybed). It does seem like he's taken the advice of a few motivational seminars VERY seriously, but those people are nice to have around sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like for you and Tom to have a show together. Or you and Nina to have a show together. Likeability or dislikability could factor into your show, too. You like Tom - could be a fun show to watch. You dislike Nina - could be an equally fun show to watch. Anyway, I like the three of you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thing is, though, it becomes apparent early on who Mark Burn--i mean, THE JUDGES (yeah yeah that's it)--pre-selected to win (NINA), and my reaction to her is a little like Michael Bluth's reaction to his son's girlfriend--HER?! Who wants to watch a show hosted by such an apparently awful person?

    ReplyDelete
  7. "It looks like a crazy person lives there." I love it! I have to say the challenges this season have been kind of bizarre but I will be watching until the end and I suspect everyone else will too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, question - when did you guys have time to shoot the promos? Right before the series started? and did you guys have to stay in NY after elimination, tucked away in hiding until all the shooting was done so families wouldn't be 'in the know' about who won? thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails