Monday, September 27, 2010

Flea Market Find Mondays ish.

I've been traveling the last two sundays, so i actually haven't been to the flea market in two weeks.  I've been getting the shakes and taking my withdrawl rage out on Bearcat.  I'll snap at the smallest lack of purr or start weeping randomly.  

Poor thing doesn't understand what is ailing her mother.  I want to explain it to her, but there is a huge cat/human language barrier that no matter how hard we try, we can't seem to get over.  
but that's another story.

So Corbett and I went to South Bay on Saturday to check out Big Daddy Antiques, which was great in a way, but also every thing was the same expensive John Derian vibe.  I thought it was going to be a big junk store, but nope, kinda fancy pants.

So not wanting to waste a perfectly good day of shopping we headed to an antique mall even further south that wasn't awesome, but not terrible.  And determined to have something to blog about and to not have wasted 5 hours and a half a tank of gas i did find a few things after like 3 hours. 


Why yes, this is a brass tic tac toe set, of course.  It was $10, which is probably too much, but I kind of love it.  Not sure what i'll do with it, most certainly NOT play tic tac toe, but its my objet-du-jour.


'60's bar set.  I don't need, but I love.  $5 each.


Awesome little turquoise vase.  It's gonna look perf in my shelves, although a bit brighter than I normally go for.  It reminds me of this Amazing pottery:

Except decidedly cheaper at $25.

And every house and horse lover needs a wooden foot-thingy to put in her shelves.


It's pretty and rustic and natural and overpriced at $28, which I bought anyway.  

And then for future clients I bought these two things;


vintage green chalkboard, 18"  $12
and Hugo Guiness-y 1929 original car drawing $16 - perfect for a bachelors gallery wall, no?



It's pretty awesome.

Must run, doing my first series of holiday commercials today for HGTV.  Back in New York and shooting at a studio I used to style in for years.  Except this time i'm in the hair and makeup chair instead of schlepping and unpacking boxes all day.  

So weird.  And completely awesome. 



16 comments:

  1. Love the finds...especially the tic-tac-toe set! Enjoy your time in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing finds Emily!!

    I picked up two old wooden elephants and also a rhino at the antique mall this weekend. The elephants have such a great patina, I love them. One is for a client and I think I'll keep one for myself. I'll have to post them on my blog in honor of flea market find mondays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pieces! I think the original car drawing could also be fabulous in a little boys room or nursery. Enjoy NYC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily,

    Have you ever spent any time in the antique shops on Fair Oaks in Pasadena? Some of them are stupidly over priced but you can really find some good deals too. I usually go for inspiration and then hit St Vincent's or Pepe's on the way home.

    BTW, I went over to my sister's pirate kaleidoscope home this weekend to help them take some video and photos to send in to casting for your show. Even if they aren't chosen we are all looking forward to seeing what you do on the show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I wish I was as good at flea-market-shopping as you are!

    By "clients" do you mean people who are paying you to style their photo shoot/home/etc or people for the new show? Just curious if the show is taking up most of your work time now or if you have other things going on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG I love all of the pieces you found, especially the bar set. I can't wait to see your show!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, I would love to know what your response has been to the bedbug threat. I've been a ravenous thrifter for years (I've seen that bar set at my best thrift store!), but lately I've been reading so many things about bedbugs that I'm afraid I have to give it up. I started scaling back a few weeks ago: no furniture, no framed art, no books, but for the last couple of weeks I've been too afraid to buy anything. Have you made any changes?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So jealous of the car picture and the vintage bar set. They are so masculine but in the BEST way, not in the giant creepy feeling plaid recliner way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, i just stumbed onto your blog. Are the items you have here for sale? My grandparents had a tic tac toe board like that in their house when I was a child and i would LOVE to buy it from you. understand if it's not for sale, but certainly would make my day if you would part with it! Thanks!
    ava.whalen@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. in love with the bar set. good find. you will be back in ny! do you still want to meet up?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Guiness-esque drawing. Great find.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous finds! Love the tic tac toe set, graphic liquor bottles and vintage chalkboard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great finds - I agree with the ladder comment - the tic tac toe set and the liquor bottles are my absolute favorites!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails